Northern Prosthetics & Orthotics believes that proper footwear is crucial to an overall treatment program for people with diabetes and for people with varying foot conditions and issues. That is why we are committed to working with patients and their physicians to offer a wide range of footwear options to meet patient’s needs. We strive to fit our patients with the “Perfect Fit” with each pair of footwear we provide.
Orthopedic Footwear is designed to aid the patient in a variety of ways. Typically, orthopedic footwear provides arch support, heel support, and generously proportioned toe boxes which are designed to allow feet to maintain the correct or natural shape of the human foot when worn. Generally, orthopedic shoes come in a wider range of widths and sizes than ordinary shoes. With properly fitting orthopedic shoes, these products can help prevent foot pain and preserve mobility.
Diabetic Footwear is designed for people with diabetes to do the following:
- Relieve areas of excessive pressure which can lead to skin breakdown or ulcers.
- Reduce shock (vertical pressure) and shear (horizontal movement of the foot within the shoe) which can also lead to skin breakdown or ulcers.
- Accommodate, stabilize and support deformities, from conditions such as Charcot, loss of fatty tissue, hammer toes, and amputations which must be accommodated.
- Limit motion of certain foot joints to decrease inflammation, relieve pain, and result in a more stable and functional foot.
- Help protect the foot from loss of sensation (neuropathy).
Healing Shoes – Immediately following surgery or ulcer treatment, this type of shoe may be necessary before a regular shoe can be worn.
Extra-depth Shoes – These shoes provide extra volume to accommodate inserts (orthoses) as well as foot deformities.
External Shoe Modifications – These adjustments to shoes are done on the outside of the shoe in order to manipulate the shape of the sole or to add specialized shock-absorbing or stabilizing material.
Orthoses or Inserts – This product is a removable insole which is designed to offer a high level of comfort and pressure relief.
Custom-made Shoes – These shoes are constructed from a cast or model of the patient’s feet and provided to the patient when extreme deformities are present.